So, you have gotten yourself a jellyfish sting. It can be one of the most painful experiences that you can have. You might have heard the myths about what to do in this case and with the pain, you are in it might seem like a good idea. Once you have a sting, you’ll do almost anything you can to make it stop, but you could just make it worse.
Below are the do’s and do not’s of what to do if you have been stung by a jellyfish. One thing to consider before continuing is that there are a lot of types of jellyfish. There are also sea lice that if they bite does feel a lot like a jellyfish sting. These tips are of a general nature and if you do suffer a sting while at the beach, seek help from a lifeguard or medical professional.
Let’s start with the things that you should never do. We’ve all heard that human urine will stop a sting. This is nothing but a myth. Urinating on the sting is exposing the already damaged area to human waste. Never a good idea. Other fluids that shouldn’t be used include freshwater, seawater, alcohol, ethanol, or ammonia. You should also not rub the affected area with a towel or apply a pressure bandage. Doing any of these actions can push the jellyfish stingers further into the skin.
So, what should you do in this situation? The first thing is not to panic. Find a lifeguard or a medical professional. If there isn’t one around, there are some things you can do until you find help. By using regular vinegar to rinse the area, you will neutralize the toxins in the jellyfish sting. This will give you some pain relief and it’ll also clean the area. The next thing you can do is grab some tweezers and carefully remove any visible stingers that you can see. Another thing you can do is avoid the sting at all costs by applying Safe Sea Lotion before getting into the water. It’ll protect you from most stings and any harmful sun rays.
Stay safe and enjoy the beach!
- Safe Sea Anti-Jellyfish Sting Protective Lotion – Sunscreen – Sunblock – Sea Lice – Jelly Fish – 50SPF Adults (50+ kids 1 pack + SPF50+)Product on sale
- Anti-Jellyfish Lotion Only SPF 0 – NewProduct on sale
- Anti-Jellyfish Lotion – SPF 50 + SPF 40 | X 2 UNITS | COMBO SALE$31.00
- Anti-Jellyfish Lotion – SPF 50 + SPF 40 SPRAY | X 2 UNITS | COMBO SALEProduct on sale
- Safe Sea Anti-jellyfish Sting Protective Lotion | SPF50+ | Jellyfish & Sea Lice Prevention SunscreenProduct on sale
- Safe Sea Anti-jellyfish Sting Protective Lotion | SPF50+ KidsProduct on sale